Choosing your patrol groups:
- Allow elections in the classroom to decide who goes on patrol this week.
- Choose the quiet ones.
- Have each homeroom elect two students that are not “serviced” by any other group – not special ed labeled, not GT, not athletically gifted.
- Science club, honors group, student council, environmental club are all potential Watt Watchers!
- Form a buddy team with a special ed student and a regular ed student.
- Deal a group. Write everyone’s name on a note card and “deal” patrol groups each week by picking cards out of the pile.
Training your patrol groups:
- You train the first ones and have them train the ones that follow.
- Start with a small group and rotate turns every month or so until everyone gets a chance to participate.
- Practice hall etiquette.
- Find an exit map of your school. Separate patrol areas based on any logical method to you. Grade levels, hallways, subject areas, etc.
- Patrol as you move from activity to activity within the school such as when you leave your room to go to the library, gym class or, the lunchroom.
- Charge a fine after a certain number of tickets. The collected money could go towards a prize for the Zero Hero classroom.
- The Principal’s office is fair game.
- Make Watt Watcher clipboards. Tape a map of the patrol area to each one.
- Tape instructions for each patrol on the other side of the clipboard.
- Keep all supplies in a copy paper box decorated with light bulbs.
- Laminate tickets. Write “please return to the Watt Watcher mailbox” on the backs.
- Tie pencils to the clipboards.
- Allow students to use extra class time to color thank you notes.
- Have thank you days each month. Announce your thank you list on the daily announcements or at staff meetings.
- Have an energy watcher of the day for each classroom- student wears a button and is responsible for turning off the light all day.
- Display graphs of your energy usage and savings in prominent areas.
- Do the Kick Off skit at the beginning of the year and change it to reflect your program at the end of the year.