Do teachers at your school have microwaves, small refrigerators, lamps, and other appliances in their classrooms? A great project to do before long breaks from school is to distribute a reminder announcement about unplugging those items. There is no need to keep a refrigerator plugged in to cool something that is going to be moldy by the time your break is over. So unplug those extras! Here is a sample announcement:
Unplug the Extras Thanksgiving Break and Winter Break are just around the corner and there are a few things that we encourage you to do before you leave.
- Turn off all computer monitors and computers in your room.
- Unplug refrigerators and microwaves in your classroom or teacher’s lounge.
- Take home any class pets or plants (check your school policy for aquariums).
- Make sure all the lights are out.
- Turn off other common equipment like copy machines, printers, laminators, etc.
- Close the windows and adjust your shades (open your shades if your classroom is south facing and close them if your classroom is north facing.)
- Unplug any seasonal decorations.
- If you are in a portable make sure heaters are off or set back.
- Turn off and unplug TV’s – some are “instant on” and constantly draw electricity.
- Unplug any rechargeable tools or other items – they are energy vampires!